Jungler says he will testify against Jammeh even at ICC

By Baba SIllah

When President Barrow took over he issued an executive directive for the arrest of the members of former President Jammeh’s hit squad, the Junglers.

While many of them jumped jurisdiction, about a score of them were arrested and have been extensively interrogated. Among them is Tujereng-born Malick Jatta, 42. The former Hermann Gmeiner High School student joined the army in May 1996 and was trained as a commando. After The Gambia fell out with Libya, he was asked to join the ‘Patrol Team’ the euphemistic official name given to the Junglers. He said after inducting them by making them take oaths of allegiance and secrecy, they were introduced to the border routes with Senegal.

Malick Jatta who rose to the rank of lieutenant by the end of Jammeh’s presidency, told investigators that his first killing assignment involved one Dawda Nyassi. He said the late Jungler group leader Major Tumbul Tamba informed him that Nyassi was among the Gambian dissidents brought back by Jammeh from Liberia and they were hatching a rebellion against the Gambia Government.

“We picked him [Nyassi] from the former Plaza Cinema near Brikama Garage. Myself, Tumbul, Lt Col Sanna Manjang and (WO) Alieu Jeng were in the vehicle and Tumbul drove us to behind the airport. When he stopped and got down, he told us Nyassi was ‘one of the idiots’ and that we should do as he did. He scolded the man, pushed him to a tree and operated his gun. Before I shot, I said ‘In the interest of the Gambia, we are ordered to gun you down’. That was the time we all shot him from the same direction. The dead body was left there and we went back to Kanilai and I have no idea as to the death [sic] body.”

Jatta also revealed to investigators that he was involved in the murder of Ndongo Mboob in 2006. He said Mboob was given to them from a glass-tinted vehicle he believed to belong to the NIA. He said they took him to a well in President Jammeh’s garden. “We took the man to the well where Sanna Manjang gunshot [sic] him and dumped him into the well,” Jatta said.

He said after these killings their base was relocated to Baba Jobe’s Kotu residence. But while there, Jatta said his “personal values did not match with them [the other Junglers] because of too much drinking of alcohol and bringing prostitutes”. So he said he stayed in his family home in Tujereng.

Jatta who said he was privy to the murders of Deyda Hydara, Daba Marenah and others said after killing and throwing some people believed to have been part of the Ndure Cham coup in a well in the Casamance, he parted company with the murderous thugs and subsequently, was totally suppressed.

Jatta said, “I have repented since 2008 and I focused my attention on prayers until I find my way out. That is why I am pleading for mercy and forgiveness from all the families that might have been affected from the orders I have been assigned to execute.”

Jatta said military police under Baboucarr Ngum picked him from his house after he returned from treatment for what he suspected was food poisoning.

He said he would be willing to serve as “a state witness against former president Yahya Jammeh even at The Hague.”

18 Comments - Write a Comment

1. Jammeh will no doubt face justice, this is a matter of time. The name “Jungullers” is a crime, how can one operate an organization that main duty is to kill ? In other word “duty killers” against your fellow country men and women. Gambia is not a big nation, people knows each others so committing a crime like killing, no one should get away without facing justice. This is Yaya Jammeh’s crimes and his enablers.

1. Jammeh left a bleeding wound with the Gambian people and break our decent society that once tolerate each others beyond comprehensible. Yes once justice is done I hope people begin to reconcile and rebuild the broken society which is still sensitive.

2. “But while there, Jatta said his “personal values did not match with them [the other Junglers] because of too much drinking of alcohol and bringing prostitutes”. So he said he stayed in his family home in Tujereng.” This is what he said after he killed a man who hasn’t done anything to you or your family and he expects us to believe him. I can’t believe these horrible crimes did happen in our peaceful country. What was wrong with these people? This is very sickening. My sincere condolence to all those whose love ones were brutally murdered for no reasons and May Allah(swt)grant them Jannatul Firdausi

3. It is also not only Jammeh who should face the music but also the one who pulled the triggers. I know there is nobody who can force me to take another person’s life. If you are more powerful than me, I will rather have you kill me than to ask me or force me to kill another human being. This is plain and simple. They are all lying because now they are caught and have no power. They want us to give them the freedom of life they have denies those they killed. It is crazy.

4. It’s not a surprise reading and listening to all of you junglers and enablers of dictator yaya jammeh confessing and willing to go ahead even in ICC. My heartfelt condolences to The Gambian people as a nation and to all those people who were affected directly or indirectly by the former brutal murderer. Malick jatta thank you for confessing but there is no tiny space in the heart of Gambian people’s to forgive you or letting you walking freely anywhere in the world. We all know there is no ignorance in the court of law, therefore you and anybody involved including the mastermind dictator jammeh most face justice and spend the rest of their life in jail. You have no place on earth because seeing you roaming anywhere in this world is a suicide. On this note, #BAN APRC PARTY PERIOD.

5. I dont think Malick is lieing, I visited his ghetto in somwhere around Tanje beach. I found out that Malick refused to run because he was ready to confess what he did. Its not a surprise he letting all cats out of the bags.

6. My fellow gambians , i think no one could have a space for these peoples , were would we have been if there big man is still rulling?
    Killings were accidentals before in the gambia but not in there trigger happy time , (malick dance to your tune ) and pray for the gambians not to have merciless peoples like you even in your gins.

7. Confess n talk like a parrot gambians will never forgive your boss n ofcourse all his hit squad.no force in this world should compel you to kill another person.you will surely rot in jail with your boss sooner or later

8. Allahu Akbarr ! May there souls Rest in Peace ,to all those who have engaged in this acts one way or the other including JAMMEH most pay for there crimes ,you can always run but you will never hide .

9. Malick Jatta you will never be forgiven .You will surely rot in jail and you will perish with the rest of your colleagues .You junglers are Dogs and have no mercy .Jammeh will face the full force of the law and nothing can stop him from being extradited .Son of a bitch so called Babili Mansa

10. .Man From Koliour kiang East · Edit

I can’t really believe that such things have happened in the Gambia. Killing human being like no man business. Even if all Gambians should forgive you Allah subhana wataalah in waiting for you in the day of judgement. For Jammeh the dictator, thief, rapist, murderer and a bastered will live in pain and agony and will never know peace until he will die. If I see the old dogs like Fabakary Tombong jatta, stupid yankuba colley, seedy njie, MA Bah and others talking about APRC it seems like I pour a barrel of petrol on them to burn them to Ashes. My condolences to the families of the victims and may Allah subhana wataalah grant the decreases jannatul fredaws. Ameen

11. I want to appeal to the Justice ministry not to abolish the Death penality until the case of NIA 9 and The jungulars are over. The reason being that these parodies, vermins and maggots calling themselves humans deserved nothing but death. We need to clean our society of these butchers and their Boss Tony Daaba. and set a very good example to any aspiring junglar.