35 C
City of Banjul
Friday, October 30, 2020

Families of Gambians killed in UK metal factory demand justice NOW!

- Advertisement -

ByAndy Richardson

The families of five migrant workers – four of them Gambians – crushed to death at a scrap metal plant in Birmingham, England, have hit out at delays in the criminal investigation, saying it’s “as if our lives don’t matter”.

- Advertisement -

The men were killed on 7thJuly 2016 when a 3.6-metre wall and 263 tonnes of metal collapsed onto them at Hawkeswood Metal Recycling site in Nechells in Central Birmingham.

The deaths of Almamo Jammeh, 45, Bangally Dukureh, 55, Saibo Sillah, 42, Muhamadou Jagana, 49, and Ousmane Diaby, 39, are believed to be the single biggest loss of life at a recycling plant in the UK.
There has been a four-year criminal investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), writes The Guardian.

An inquest into their deaths found the risk of the tragedy was foreseeable, but no one has yet been arrested or prosecuted over the deaths.
The men’s families say they were distraught after being told recently the investigation had been delayed even further.

That was despite alleged “repeated promises” from the HSE that it would decide whether to prosecute scrap metal firm Shredmet, which owns the site, before the fourth anniversary next week.

The families said they felt they had been treated differently because of their heritage.
In a nod to the Black Lives Matter movement, they said: “This news has caused us grief and anguish. We have met with delay at every stage of the process. We demand justice and accountability. We are five black families, from The Gambia and Senegal; it is as if our lives do not matter. Our lives do matter.”

The five men had travelled to the UK from Spain seeking work and were employed by an agency as recycling operatives on zero-hours contracts.
They were clearing out a storage bay when the wall and metal, weighing the equivalent of 15 double-decker buses, collapsed on top of them. The men had to be identified by their fingerprints after receiving “devastating blunt-force injuries,” an inquest heard.

In November 2018 an inquest jury recorded a verdict of accidental death despite finding the collapse was a “foreseeable risk” and the failure to spot it contributed to the men’s deaths.

The inquest heard evidence from Martyn Ostcliffe, an engineering expert at the HSE, who said there were no risk assessments in place at the site and safety inspections were a “tick-box exercise”. He said the wall “could have gone at any time”.

The families said: “This was a workplace where human life and workers’ rights were completely and repeatedly disregarded. We are in no doubt this amounted to a crime and those responsible should feel the full force of the law and be punished accordingly. Criminal prosecution will also ensure what happened to us will not happen again.”

The families claimed they have been refused compensation by Shredmet, causing them to suffer financially while they raised their children. Graham Woodhouse, the director of Shredmet, denied it was refusing to compensate the families and said the matter was being dealt with by the firm’s insurers.

He said Shredmet shared the families’ concern about the length of time the HSE investigation had taken, and added: “It would have been in everyone’s interests for the HSE to progress matters.”
The HSE said it had been carrying out a thorough criminal investigation which had “taken longer than we had hoped”.

It said changes to the legal team and disruption caused by coronavirus had added further delay. “It is precisely because these lives matter that we are diligently progressing the thorough investigation they deserve,” it said.

- Advertisement -
Join The Conversation
- Advertisment -

Latest Stories

skBI

SK EAST-BI GOALKEEPER DROWNS

Tragedy struck Second Division league side Serekunda East-Bi on Wednesday when goalkeeper  Omar Njie drowned at the Fajara beach not far from Leybato, while...
- Advertisment -