By Juldeh Njie
A fire outbreak on Monday burned to ashes two apartments in Brikama Sanneh Kunda, leaving the occupants to rue over the charred remains of what was once a fully furnished abode. The inferno also claimed D81,000 in cash, neighbours told The Standard.
According to Alagie Sawo Sanneh, the landlord, the tragedy started around 2pm and lasted for an hour before it was doused by the Fire and Rescue Services.
“Everything was consumed in the fire,” Mr Sawo said.
He said he could not establish the cause of the fire because he was watching TV when electricity went out and then came back shortly afterwards.
“I was watching TV but the electricity kept going on and off so when it went off for the third time, I decided to put off my TV and at around 3pm, I smelled something unusual and decided to go and see and then saw flames coming out of my room.”
He explained that that was the time he called out to his sons to find out the extent of the fire.
“To our surprise, when I opened the door, we saw fire everywhere. That was the time we called the Fire