By Amadou M Jadama
A fire outbreak in the early hours of Saturday morning burnt down a compound in Latrikunda Sabiji destroying properties valued at over one million Dalasis.
According to family sources the inferno started around 10 in the morning when everyone was outside the house. They said the first sign of trouble came when a thick smoke was spotted billowing from the house.
Mrs. Drammeh, a resident recounted how she unsuccessfully tried to enter her house but was repelled by heavy smoke and intense heat. ”I then screamed for help and our neighbours came to the scene with some managing to climb to the roof to put down the flames with water,” she said.
She reported that apart from money, items like rice, sugar, cements, cooking oil, bicycles, and clothes all perished in the fire leaving the family broke and desperate. “This loss is unquantifiable and serious. We are all homeless as I am speaking to you because we lost everything,” she said.
She appealed to Government and philanthropists to help them with food and shelter.
People wishing to help can contact The Standard or the KMC.