25 C
City of Banjul
Friday, December 4, 2020

Senegal club suspended after Dakar tragedy

- Advertisement -

US Ouakam have been suspended by the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) after eight people were killed during Senegal’s football league cup final.?
The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) on Monday suspended US Ouakam from any football-related activity sanctioned by the sport’s governing body.

This decision was taken after a stampede following clashes between supporters resulted in the death of eight fans during Senegal’s football league cup final in Dakar, between Ouakam and Stade de Mbour.
Local supporters began throwing stones at Stade de Mbour fans, before the police used tear gas in an attempt to control the violence.

- Advertisement -

As a result of these actions, the stampede began. Part of the wall supporting fans from both sides collapsed, causing the fatalities.
This came after the visiting side, Stade de Mbour, took a 2-1 lead in the extra-time.
At least 49 spectators were injured as Ouakam supporters clashed with those of their rivals.
The FSF’s disciplinary committee will meet soon to decide sanctions against Ouakam.

 

The investigations begin
Senegal’s state prosecutor, Segine Bassirou Gueye, announced that the investigations have already began, adding that the perpetrators would be “brought to justice.”
“Violence of every kind was committed. Traces of blood and other debris at the site testify to the atrocities committed,” said Gueye at a press conference.
President Macky Sall, said that he ordered the “immediate opening of a rigorous enquiry” in order to identify those at fault.

“Sport is not an area in which violence should be expressed,” added Sall.
Police have defended their behaviour in the wake of allegations that they had been to blame.
“In such situations, the presence of the police is not to charge but rather contain the crowd to avoid greater casualties particularly with the collapse of a wall that has led to injuries and deaths.
“Contrary to what has been put forward by some media, the Stade Demba Diop had, as usual in such circumstances, adequate security provision on the day,” read a press release.

 

Election campaign restarted
Campaigning for Senegal’s legislative elections restarted after a 24-hour suspension on Sunday.
However, in respect for the victims, all sports and cultural events will remain suspended until elections due on 30 July.
“All sporting and cultural activities are banned across the national territory for the rest of the electoral campaign,” said the State’s prosecutor.

- Advertisement -
Join The Conversation
- Advertisment -

Latest Stories

darboe

DARBOE ALLEGES GOV’T PLANS TO REGISTER SENEGALESE VOTERS

By Omar Bah The leader of the United Democratic Party has warned against what he called the government's plan to register non-Gambians on the pretense...
- Advertisment -