The Gambia Football Federation Electoral Committee has announced that the much controversial elective congress slated for tomorrow Saturday 18 August will go ahead and will even be attended by Fifa and Caf as observers.
Earlier the Electoral Committee released a list of eligible candidates which includes only two from the opposition presidential candidate Malick Sillah’s Camp. These are Mr Sillah himself and his choice for third vice president Foday Danjo. All remaining five candidates were disqualified and have had their appeals dismissed. The GFF Electoral Committee said election would be conducted for only those two positions, example Lamin Kaba Bajo versus Malick Sillah and Foday Danjo versus Lang Tombong Tamba.
However The Standard has learnt yesterday that the opposing Presidential candidate Malick Sillah, five of whose officials were disqualified, may not take part in the congress. A source in the camp said the reason for this boycott would be communicated soon. “It is very likely that unless our demands are met our group will not legitimise an illegitimate process”, our source added without giving details.
Meanwhile, the GFF Electoral Committee has further announced that the congress will now be held at Paradise Suites Hotel instead of The Football Hotel as previously announced and at 10:00am.