By Alagie Manneh & Samsideen Ceesay A fire outbreak in Bakau Newtown Sunday razed a compound valued over 2 million dalasis, leaving the occupants to brood over the remains of what was once a fully furnished house with ‘expensive’ furniture and other household materials. According to residents of Jones Kunda the affected family, no lives were lost in the fire which gutted two parlors and more than six different rooms, but they added the blaze had destroyed all of their belongings. According to them, the cause of the fire is suspected to have started from short circuits caused by frequent power outages. Sainey Bojang, a resident, said: “I believe it is power that caused this fire because the light came back with a higher voltage and when that happened fire broke out. It was at midnight and the fire has been burning since then till now.” According to him, a woman was in the house sleeping with three other children when the inferno broke out. “We had to take them out quickly,” Sainey added. He expressed disappointment that intervention from the Fire Service came late. The fire burnt furniture, fans, modern beds, microwaves, chairs, ceilings, fans and a lot of other properties valued at millions. Andre Manga, a resident, said they have no other alternative but to move on with life, saying he is elated no lives were lost. “We must move forward. Where there is life there is hope.” On how to avoid future fire outbreaks of this nature, a sorry-looking Manga added: “I think Nawec should notify us when they are switching off the light in order to avoid what just happened here,” he said. The Jones family started the year 2017 with huge loss and sadness, and are now seeking for assistance in order to put their lives and home back to normalcy.]]>
- Advertisment -
By Omar Bah Veteran politician and former minister in both the Jawara and Barrow governments Omar Jallow (OJ), has advised the Truth Reconciliation and Reparations...
- Advertisment -