I saw Amara stab Omar - eye witness tells murder trial


 By Bruce Asemota

One Aja Ceesay, an eye witness to a murder scene, has told the High Court in Banjul presided over by Justice Ebrima Ba Jaiteh that one Amara Kanteh deliberately killed one Omar Ceesay alias ‘Bahoreh’ in Manjai Kunda.

The witness said Amara and Omar had fought twice and it was during the second fight that the accused stabbed Omar with a big knife in his leg.


She disclosed that it happened at dusk on the 9th January, 2020 whilst she was calling ebbeh at her compound gate. She said the accused had come to buy ebbeh from her whilst the Omar was brewing attaya.

She said Amara asked Omar to give him attaya but he refused after which the accused went to the shop to buy his own attaya. “Amara came back again and asked Omar to give him the charcoal pot but he again refused. He then asked the accused to wait until he is done brewing his attaya.”

The witness said Amara was angry and he began raining insults on Omar, threatening to kill him.

The witness added that she called the accused and advised him to desist from fermenting trouble and that he was being followed by Satan.

The witness revealed that she later went to buy some water at the shop and on her way back, she found Amara and Omar fighting and she intervened.

Aja said she grabbed Omar’s hand and accompanied him to his compound gate. She said whilst Omar sat at the gate, Amara came and started raining insults on him again.

”He approached Omar and as he raised his hand in an attempt to strike him, he missed and fell down.  He then pulled out a big knife and stabbed Omar’s right leg leading to profuse bleeding.

“The blood was too much. Omar told me that Amara had carried out his threat to kill him,” the witness told the court.

She said Omar took some water that he was using to brew attaya and drank.

She revealed that he was put in a vehicle and taken to Kanifing Hospital and later to Banjul.

She said Amara was arrested by the police inside the Manjai football field where he was hidden by his girlfriend, who was allegedly making efforts to get him some clothes and money to help him escape.

The trial continues.