26 C
City of Banjul
Sunday, September 20, 2020

Driver denies ‘killing’ was intentional

- Advertisement -

Taking his plea yesterday, Saidou Jallow denied the single charge of rash or negligent act causing death.  He said he did not “intentionally” knock Malick Senghore to death last month.

- Advertisement -

“To be candid, I was the one driving the vehicle but he (the deceased) suddenly crossed in front of my vehicle. But it was never my intention to kill him,” the arraigned driver said. 

Police prosecutors alleged that on 19 May 2014, Mr Jallow caused the death of Malick Senghore due to his negligence on the Banjul-Serrekunda highway.

However, Principal Magistrate Hilary Abeke granted the accused bail in the sum of D100,000 with two Gambian sureties. Although causing someone’s death is a serious offence, the police prosecutor, Saja Sanyang, did not object to bail for Saidou Jallow saying, “I leave it [the decision] to the discretion of the court to exercise it judiciously,” he said.

The accused was escorted back to police headquarters after the matter was adjourned to June 19 for hearing.  

 

By Binta Bah

]]>

- Advertisement -
Join The Conversation
- Advertisment -

Latest Stories

Standard place hold 1

Drawsoup aka Supa-Kanja

With Latirr Carr As I debated with myself on what to write for my week's essay, I had a brief moment, where I looked out...
ebrima

Night curfew lifted

- Advertisment -