25.2 C
City of Banjul
Wednesday, October 27, 2021


The former secretary general and minister for presidential affairs yesterday appeared at the high court for the second time, two months after his first appearance. However, the court did not sit. The director of public prosecution was also not in court. Journalists were informed that the Attorney General’s Chambers had written to the Office of the Chief Justice asking for all state prosecutors to be excused to enable them attend the inauguration of their refurbished offices today. 

The court was packed with family members, well-wishers and curious onlookers. As soon as he was ushered into the court by plain clothes security officers, some people seated in the gallery broke into tears. In sharp contrast, Sabally, 40, dressed in a lavender caftan was smiling and acknowledging greetings. His lawyer Antouman Gaye spoke to him for a few minutes before Sabally was again escorted to the Sherriff’s Division of the high court for him to be remanded at Mile 2. After coming out of the sheriff’s office, a maroon pick-up arrived and he was whisked away.

It could be recalled that he was under the custody of the NIA after the prosecution said investigations into his matter were ongoing. His request for bail was refused by Justice Mikailu when he appeared at the high court on August 11 on one count of economic crime and two counts of abuse of office charges against him, all relating to a Youth Career Development Programme organised by one Mariama Sillah in May 2014.

Mr Sabally is accused of causing economic loss to SSHFC in the amount of D402,500 by unduly influencing the corporation to fund the programme without the recourse to due process. He pleaded not guilty to the charges. He is expected to reappear at the high court on October 22.


Join The Conversation

Latest Stories


By Omar Bah Businessman Alagie Conteh, the proprietor of Dabanani Electrical Company, has alleged that his company account at Bloom Bank has been blocked by...