27.2 C
City of Banjul
Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Police investigate 2 homicides

By Mafugi Ceesay

The police have opened investigations into two reported murder cases that took place at Serekunda’s Westfield turnabout and Mandinaring in Kombo North recently.

Police spokesperson Superintendent Lamin Njie yesterday confirmed the homicide cases and said investigations are underway in the Westfield and Mandinaring cases.

“We will share details as they come in. We urge the public to voluntarily provide information about the suspects to assist us in the investigation,” he said.

The suspected murder case of Marang Jaw, 37, in Mandinaring took place on 11 May, 2021 and one Mario Mendy, a 41-year-old Senegalese is currently the lone suspect and is helping the police investigators.

According to the police, Mendy was reportedly given D10,000 by the family of  Ms Jaw as payment for a trip of sand which he failed to deliver.

“The family of the deceased revealed that she had been following up on Mendy to pay back the money, but to no avail. However, yesterday, 11th May, 2021, the suspect allegedly called the deceased’s mother and sister and told them that he had paid the ‘sand money’ to the deceased and was on his way home,” the police said.

The police said shortly afterwards, the body of Marang Jaw was discovered in the family house with injury marks and a pestle believed to be the murder weapon.

“Following intense efforts by police, the suspect, Mario Mendy was arrested and is currently helping police with investigations. Members of the public with any relevant information or clues about this tragic murder are encouraged to come forward to assist police efforts to fix this puzzle. The office of the IGP solicits the usual cooperation and understanding of the public,” the police said.

The police however declined to reveal the identities of the person killed or the suspected killer or killers in the Westfield incident. “Investigations are ongoing and intense efforts are devoted on the ground. Publicity may affect the process,” the police spokesman explained.

Assault on child

Reacting to a video circulating online about a suspected mentally challenged man who allegedly hit a boy with a block of cement in Kololi, Supt Njie said: “The report we have was an assault on a seven-year-old child by a suspected lunatic. The child is alive and currently receiving treatment. The suspect is currently helping police in their investigations. Appropriate actions will follow accordingly.”

Join The Conversation

Latest Stories

HAJJ NOT LIKELY FOR GAMBIANS

By Alagie Manneh The chairman of The Gambia's hajj commission has told The Standard that Gambians intending to perform pilgrimage will likely not be allowed...
Translate »